- June 2017: Four VCLA members successfully defended their Ph.D dissertations: Weixin Li, Xiaohan Nie, Yang Lu and Chengcheng Yu.
- May 2017: A team led by Dr. Song-Chun Zhu received the 2017 XAI (Explainable Artificial Intelligence) grant from DARPA I2O for the project "Learning and Communicating Explainable Representations for Analytics and Autonomy", grant# N66001-17-2-4029.
- June 2016: A team led by Dr. Song-Chun Zhu won the bid for hosting CVPR 2019 at Long Beach, California --a coastal city in the Los Angeles area close to the Silicon Beach and UCLA. [link]
- June 2016: Dr. Tianfu Wu has accepted a tenure track position at North Carolina State University, and will join the ECE dept as an assistant professor.
- June 2016: Three VCLA members received their Ph.D degrees: Amy Fire, Seyoung Park and Dan Xie.
- Jan 2016: VCLA released the viz2016.com website to the public for tracking presidential elections, thank to Weixin Li and Tao Yuan.
- Sep 2015: Postdoc Dr. Xiaobai Liu joined the Department of Computer Science at San Diego State University as a tenure track assistant professor.
- Sep 2015: Postdoc Dr. Caiming Xiong joined MetaMind as a senior research scientist.
- June 2015: A team led by Dr. Song-Chun Zhu received the 2015 DoD MURI (Multi-disciplinary University Research Initiative) grant for a project entitled "Understanding Scenes and Events through Joint Parsing, Cognitive Reasoning and Lifelong Learning".
- June 2015: A team led by Dr. Song-Chun Zhu received the 2015 DARPA SIMPLEX grant for a project entitled "Learning Homogeneous Representation from Heterogeneous Data for Quanti. and Quali. Reasoning in Autonomy".
- April 2015: Ph.D student Jungseock Joo accepted a tenure track offer from Dept. of Communications Studies, UCLA.
- July 2014: Dr. Tianfu Wu is promoted to Research Assistant Professor at Department of Statistics, UCLA.
- December 2013: Dr. Song-Chun Zhu received Helmholtz Test-of-Time Award, ICCV 2013.
- Robots taught to work alongside humans by giving high fives by Matt Reynolds. New Scientist. April 27, 2017. [Video Demo]
- Give a Robot a Fish by Simon Zou. The Daily Bruin’s Prime Magazine. May 23, 2016.
- UCLA Researchers Use Newsscape Archive to Analyze Human Communication by Jorge Valero. Daily Bruin. Feb 04, 2016.
- Visual Persuasion: Inferring Communicative Intents of Images
- I2T: Image Parsing to Text Generation
- Is a Picture Worth 1,000 Polls by Virginia Postrel. Bloomberg View. June 25, 2014.
- Surveillance Software Knows What a Camera Sees by Tom Simonite. MIT Technology Review. June 1, 2010.
- April 2017: Dr. Liang Lin (Professor at Sun Yat-Sen University, visiting Ph.D. Student 2006-2007, Postdoc 2007-2009 at VCLA@UCLA) received the World’s FIRST 10K Best Paper Diamond Award by the flagship multimedia conference ICME (IEEE International Conference on Multimedia & Expo).
- September 2016, Dr. Jake Porway (Founder and Executive Director of DataKind, Ph.D 2010 at VCLA@UCLA) is named the 5th must-know name in Data Science for enabling data science contributions to social good, according to KDNuggets for 21 must-know data science interview questions and answers.
- July 2016: Dr. Yizhou Wang (Professor at Peking University, Ph.D 2005 at VCLA@UCLA) is selected as the 2016 Distinguished Young Scholar (杰青) In China.
- July 2016: Dr. Liang Lin (Professor at Sun Yat-Sen University, Postdoc 2007-2009 at VCLA@UCLA) is selected as the 2016 Outstanding Young Scholar (优青) In China.
- December 2015: Dr. Zhuowen Tu and his student received the Marr Prize honorary mention in ICCV 2015.
- December 2015: Dr. Jifeng Dai (former visiting student in VCLA 2012-2013) won the first place in Microsoft COCO detection and segmentation challenge 2015.
- October 2015: Dr. Shuo Wang (former visiting student in VCLA 2011-2013) received the ACM China Dissertation Award 2015.